Why study a World Language?
Benefits of Learning a Second Language
(Click here to learn more about the HASD World Language Department
and the benefits of second language study.)
Research and longitudinal studies have concluded the following facts in regards to students who learn a second language:
- Student develops a meaningful understanding and appreciation of different cultures.
- Student acquires the ability to expand their horizons by communicating with more people.
- Student demonstrates higher levels of creativity.
- Student has a greater ability to solve complex problems and engage in higher order thinking skills.
- Student tends to score higher on standardized achievement tests. For example, students who studied a foreign language for 4 or more years consecutively, outscored non language learners in both verbal and math SAT scores.
- Student achieves greater results academically and more likely to perform successfully in college.
- Students increases opportunities for foreign-study program abroad.
- Student gains a competitive edge when considering career opportunities.
Benefits of Learning a Second Language Early
- Student develops critical life-long skills during their elementary years.
- Student eagerly receives and is appreciative of cultural differences.
- Student is easily able to transfer information between the native and second language.
- Student develops creative inquiry and critical thinking skills.
- Student gains a greater understanding and development of their own language while acquiring a second language.
- Student gains higher academic achievement in formative and summative assessments.
- Student becomes a candidate for future proficiency in the second language.